It’s no secret that air conditioning expenses here in Arizona make up a huge part of our monthly budget during the summer. It is amazing the difference you can make by making sure to stay on top of these simple rules:
- Programmable Thermostat – If you don’t have one, get one! It is amazing the difference you can make in energy consumption with a fine-tuned program running your temperature control.
- Temperature Control Timing - Make sure your system is not cooling down your space too much while you’re not at home. Going to be gone for a few days?... don’t be afraid to turn it completely off except during the extremely hot months of summer, then just adjust up to 95. Also, a couple of degrees can make a world of difference. You might be surprised at the savings when you change the thermostat to 79 instead of 77.
- Air Filters - Keep air filters clean so your system doesn’t have to work so hard. Dirty filters are the number one cause of excessive system wear and ice build-up problems. Not only will clean filters reduce your energy bills… they will also reduce service and repair expenses.
- Sufficient Insulation – Make sure your property is properly insulated and there are no gaps or holes around doors and windows that allow air to escape. Fix any issues immediately!
- Strategic Shade – Shade can help a ton on the unit itself as well as the home. Window shade material and strategically placed trees and shrubs can really help reduce cooling expenses, especially on West-facing exposures.
Post a Comment